Our lawyers represent clients who have been charged with the crime of assault in New York. Assault is an act that causes physical injury to another person. This act can be intentional, reckless or negligent (extreme carelessness).
Our firm represents clients who have been charged all types of assault crimes, including:
- Aggravated assault
- Vehicular assault
- Gang assault
- Assault on a law enforcement official
- Aggravated assault on a person less than 11 years old
- Reckless assault of a child by a day care provider
- Menacing, hazing and reckless endangerment
- Assault-related weapons charges
- Domestic violence charges
The sentences for these crimes include a range from significant time in jail to exorbitant fines. The penalties for an assault conviction depend on many circumstances, including the type of assault, the degree of seriousness of the crime, the victim and whether or not it's a first offense.
Under certain circumstances, prosecutors can elect to charge an individual with more serious crimes if the victim was:
- A law enforcement officer, firefighter or emergency medical services professional
- Assaulted by three or more people ("gang assault")