Avvo Rating
Empire State Counsel
Top 100 Trial Lawyers
Above the Bar Awards
All-Star Lawyers

Truck Ticket Lawyer Speeding, Overweight, CDL License and More

Attention All Truck Drivers and Trucking Companies: Hire Our Firm and Have a Former Prosecutor Fight For You. Joseph P. Villanueva is a former prosecutor and former member of the Teamsters Local 237

Truck Ticket Lawyer Speeding, Overweight, CDL License
You should not rely on these answers as complete and thorough legal advice.  Every case is different and you should consult an attorney.  Send Us an E-mail

Q. I often drive my truck through Westchester County, Rockland County, and Orange County.  Do I need a CDL to drive a vehicle over 30,000 pounds?

A.  Yes, in New York, a Commercial Driver's License is required for many types of vehicles including but not limited to vehicles with a gross weight over 26,000 pounds and vehicles that transport hazardous materials. Send Us an E-mail

Q.  My truck was pulled over in Tarrytown New York.  If I plead guilty to driving my truck with an overweight load, speeding, or an equipment violation, will that have a negative affect on my Commercial Driver License (CDL)?  

A.  It is quite possible that just pleading guilty to any of the aforementioned could trigger your privilege to drive to be suspended.  NYS DMV will pull your CDL for 60 days if you are convicted of two "serious traffic violations" within a 3-year period involving a commercial motor vehicle. Send Us an E-mail

Q. Is that that the only thing that can happen to me?

A.  There are many different sequences of events that can occur.  This is merely a brief answer in light of the question present.  This is not a substitute of a full consultation.  That being said, you can lose your CDL for 120 days if you are convicted of 3 serious traffic violations within a 3-year period involving a commercial motor vehicle. Send Us an E-mail

 Q.  I’m a NYS licensed CDL truck driver and got a ticket out of state.  Can that suspend my license?  I drive my truck through Putnam County and Dutchess County near I-84.  

A. As a NYS licensed CDL driver, you can be suspended for violations that occur in other states.  Send Us an E-mail

Q.  I drive my truck through Wallkill and Wawayanda all the time.  I recently got a ticket in Tennessee.  Do I have a responsibility to tell NYS DMV that I have a traffic conviction in another state?

A.  It is a violation to fail to report to the NYS DMV any traffic conviction that occurred outside of state. Send Us an E-mail

About Our Firm: our law firm has over twenty five years of legal experience.  Our defense team is lead by former prosecutor Joseph P. Villanueva.  In 2011, he was named one of the Top Criminal Defense Attorneys in New York State.  Having a former prosecutor can make the all difference.  Trust your precious case to the law firm with experience.  Call us now at (800) 893-9645.

Send Us an E-mail

Back to Main Truck Page

Back to Main Ticket Defense Page


Client Reviews
“I was extremely pleased with the friendly yet professional service that I received in resolving my legal issue.” Karen K.
“Joseph Villanueva and staff made the whole process so easy and gave me the peace of mind that I didn't receive points against my license. Well worth the money!” Linda P.
“Best attorney I’ve worked with. Stayed in contact throughout the whole process. Gave me frequent updates and always replied back to me within an hour. Definitely recommend.” Nikki C.